A Google search on "Granny Cowden" led me to an article from the Iola Register dated 6/4/2001 that mentions Granny Cowden during the rededication of the zinc statue in the cemetery. It provided her given name as Victoria. Searching records available on Ancestry.com and Footnote.com I found the following information:
1880 Iola, Allen Co., KS Federal Census: Victoria Cowden, white female, 66, boarder, widowed, Housekeeper. Born in France. Parents born in France. Living in the household of H. D. Parsons.
- 1875 Allen Co., KS State Census: V. Cowden, 58, white female. Housekeeper. Born in France. Came to Kansas from Missouri. Living in the household of H. D. and Harriett Parsons.
- 1870 Verdigris, Montgomery Co., KS Federal Census: Victoria Cowden, 55, white female, Invalid. $125 Personal Estate. Born in France. Father & Mother of foreign birth. Can't read and write. Household of Jacob & Hannah Cop.
- 1865 Iola, Allen Co., KS State Census: Victoria Cowden, 50 female, $100 Real Estate, $150 Personal Estate. Single. Can't read & write. Household of Wm & A. E. Barry.
- 1860 Allen Co., Kansas Territory Census: Braden W. [Brandon] Cowden. 38, male, farmer. $800 Real Estate, $250 Personal Estate. Born in TN. Victoria Cowden, 45, female, housewife. Born in France. Can't read or write.
- Civil War Pension Index: Brandon W. Cowden. Widow: Victoria Cowden filed November 29, 1864. Brandon served in Co G of the 9th Kansas Calvary.
- 1859 Voters List of Allen Co., KS: B. W. Cowden. Date of settlement: March 1855. 1 Head of household. Total: 2. Farmer.
- 1857 Voters List of Allen Co., KS; Dist 18: #45 - B. W. Cowden. Head of Family. 1 female. 2 total.