----- ............Cemetery Walk: An afternoon of discovery! Every stone has a story. And they are waiting to be told........... -----

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Will it survive?

On my journey today to find cemeteries marked on a Kansas DOT county map I discovered 2 were probably homestead burials that are now disappearing into the changing landscape around them.


This burial location is located in the middle of a section of land. The only access is on a private drive. Upon arriving I was shocked to see how close the new highway will be to these 2 graves. It will most likely find itself in the "ditch" area. Right now this little grove of trees and the only 2 headstones I could find are surrounded by a chain. I will certainly check on it as the highway progresses.




Buried here are Jacob and Maria Peters and Anna and Gerhard Peters.

The location is north of Arrowhead road between 6th and 7th streets. It is the private drive just west of the new highway 61 under construction. Arrowhead, 6th and 7th streets are unpaved roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comments.

Due to a recent high volume of spam I have activated the comment moderation instead of discontinuing posts by anonymous visitors.