----- ............Cemetery Walk: An afternoon of discovery! Every stone has a story. And they are waiting to be told........... -----

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Improvements at Wildmead

Wildmead Cemetery



My father-in-law, Elmer Wall, is buried at the Wildmead Cemetery. I recently had the opportunity to work on the committee to have the kiosk, benches and memorial stone added to the cemetery. Wildmead is located in Nickerson, KS, a small community of about 1,000 people and about 10 miles from where I live in Hutchinson. As a member of the local genealogical society I have been tasked to update and provide the printed burial lists for the information boards. I hope to also include tidbits of cemetery history and perhaps highlight some of the residents.

This is where Barry and I own our plots. That is unless he goes first. I keep telling him that he may get buried in my beloved South, in Georgia. Only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gale... much of my family history also resides in Wildmead Cemetery. My great great grandfather, Orlando Jarrett, was an undertaker in Nickerson, and I have scanned a couple of receipt books of his from 1890-1892 and made them available to the KS State Library and Reno County Historical Society. They're full of information, with each receipt having name, birth/death dates or age, attending physician if applicable, manner of death, etc. I'm sure a number of the names contained would be relevant to Nickerson history. My DAR Chapter is working together with me to index and submit the records there as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comments.

Due to a recent high volume of spam I have activated the comment moderation instead of discontinuing posts by anonymous visitors.