----- ............Cemetery Walk: An afternoon of discovery! Every stone has a story. And they are waiting to be told........... -----

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cemetery vandalized

Last week Eastside Cemetery was vandalized. I took it personally. I have been working on recording and preserving the records and lives of those resting at Eastside since 2006. 67 headstones were toppled with some of them breaking.

Here is a photo of a section of Civil War veterans that had their stones broken. After Memorial Day I will do a thorough walk through with the sexton and record the damage. Thankfully I had already photographed most of the 21 broken stones.


4 comments:

  1. Unbelievable, Gale. The Rotters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why individuals do such things is beyond my comprehension. I know that the normal thought is that the vandalism is done by teenagers (and probably is in most cases). I think that parents need to encourage an appreciation for the history that is all around us, and that includes cemeteries.

    I take pride in the fact that my 19-year-old son enjoys going to cemeteries. He takes time to clean up debris he finds while there. He does get some problems from law enforcement because the normal times that he hangs out in cemeteries is after midnight. However, once he shows them he is not doing anything wrong, they usually chat for a bit then leave him alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, this is all too common anymore. I see at least one or two posts a week from other bloggers, about this same issue.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comments.

Due to a recent high volume of spam I have activated the comment moderation instead of discontinuing posts by anonymous visitors.