My personal research library contains resources for genealogy and cemeteries, among many other books. This is my list of cemetery resources.
I would love to know what cemetery books you have, refer to, can't live without. Please share with me in the comments.
· Biedermann, Hans. [translated by James Hurlburt]. Dictionary of Symbolism. New York: Penguin. 1994.
· Brown, John Gary. Soul In The Stone; Cemetery Art from Americas Heartland. Lawrence, KS: The University Press of Kansas. 1994.
· Bruce-Mitford, Miranda. The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols. New York: DK Publishing. 1996.
· Carmack, Sharon DeBartolo. Your Guide to Cemetery Research. Cincinnati, OH: Betterway Books. 2002.
· Cooper, Gaylord. Stories Told In Stone; Cemetery Iconology. Louisville, KY: Motes Books. 2009.
· Dhanjal, Beryl. Signs & Symbols. Edison, New Jersey: Chartwell Books, Inc. 2008.
· Ferguson, George. Signs & Symbols in Christian Art. New York: Oxford University Press. 1972.
· Gillon, Jr, Edmund V. Victorian Cemetery Art. New York: Dover Publications. 1972.
· Greene, Meg. Rest In Peace; A History of American Cemeteries. Minneapolis, MN: Twenty-First Century Books. 2008.
· Keister, Douglas. Stories in Stone; A Field Guide to Cemetery Symbolism and Iconography. Layton, Utah. Gibbs Smith. 2004.
· Keister, Douglas. Forever Dixie; A Field Guide to Southern Cemeteries and Their Residents. Layton, Utah: Gibbs Smith. 2008.
· Keister, Douglas. Going Out In Style; The Architecture of Eternity. New York: Facts on File, Inc. 1997.
· Lehner, Ernst. Symbols Signs & Signets. New York: Dover Publications. 1950.
· Powers-Douglas. Cemetery Walk; A Journey into the Art, History and Society of the Cemetery and Beyond. Bloomington, IN: Author House. 2005.
· Rutherford, Sarah. The Victorian Cemetery. Great Britain: Shire Publications. 2008.
· Wiggins, Dr. David N. Images of America; Georgia’s Confederate Monuments and Cemeteries. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing. 2006.
· Wood, Nick. Coffin Nails and Tombstone Trails. A Journey Across the Dark Side of America. Mainstream Publishing Co. 1999.
· Worpole, Ken. Last Landscapes, The Architecture of the Cemetery in the West. London: Reaktion Books, LTD. 2003.
· Yalom, Marilyn. The American Resting Place; Four Hundred Years of History Through our Cemeteries and Burial Grounds. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company. 2008..
· Bunnen, Lucinda; Smith, Virginia Warren. Scoring in Heaven; Gravestones and Cemetery Art of the American Sunbelt States. Aperture. 1991.
· Enss, Chris. Tales Behind the Tombstones; The Deaths and Burials of the Old West’s Most Nefarious Outlaws, Notorious Women and Celebrated Lawmen. 2007.
· Felsen, Gregg. Tombstones; Seventy Five Famous People and Their Final Resting Places. 1996.
· Galland, China. Love Cemetery. Unburying the Secret History of Slaves. 2007.
· Koontz, Dean, Robinson, David, Photographer. Beautiful Death. Penguin Studio Books. 1996.
· Lamments, Dietrich Christian; Taylor, Mark C. Grave Matters. Reaktion Books. 2002.
· O’Connell, Mark, Airey, Raje, Craze, Richard. The Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia of Symbols, Signs & Dream Interpretation. London. Anness Publishing Ltd, Hermes House. 2008.
· Meyer, Richard E. Cemeteries and Gravemarkers: Voices of American Culture. Logan Utah: Utah State University Press. 1989.
· Tressider, Jack. The Complete Dictionary of Symbols. San Francisco: Chronicle Books. 2005.
· AGS Field Guide No. 1: Analyzing Cemetery Data
· AGS Field Guide No. 3: Guide to Forming a “Cemetery Friends” Organization
· AGS Field Guide No. 7: Making Photographic Records of Gravestones
· AGS Field Guide No. 8: Symbolism in the Carving on Gravestones
· AGS Field Guide No. 17: Recording Cemetery Data
· Lettering in Marble [from AGS web site]
· Translating Tombstones [Powers-Douglas, Minda]
· Waterhouse Symbolism Newsletter [Waterhouse, Richard – No. 1 to present]
· GPS Locating Cemeteries [FGS Strategy Series, Set 1 No. 27]
Published Cemetery Interment Records for:
· Dale Co., AL
· Coffee Co., AL
· Pike Co., AL
· Holmes Co., FL
· Hartford Cemetery, Geneva Co., AL
· Reno Co., KS